Thursday, March 12, 2009

Love Letters from One Cook to Another

Yesterday was a great day. Wanna know why? Sure you do!

I scored an original 1950 copy of Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook.
Early Wednesday morning after my momma and I worked our butts off (no joke) on the terrible treadmills, we stopped by the local farmer' s market and secondhand bookstore (SHOUT OUT TO COAAAASS!) Coas: My Book Store.
First stop in the shop? Coffee. Then? Cookbooks of course! Before I could even look around I saw it. That red book was shining like a beacon of culinary excellence...no joke. I snatched that bad boy up with a gasp and visions of myself in the 1950's baking strawberry shortcake. I can dream can't I?

Just to add to the coolness of my score, I found these goodies tucked insideAll of these are handwritten recipes. The one on the far left is a recipe for banana nut cake, dated 1933. Banana Depression cake! Something sweet on the cheap. I can dig it.

My momma said my finding these recipes and clippings was like love letters from one cook to another. Someone got a lot of joy and frosting out of these recipes, even when times were super hard. Now it's my turn to make something bomb, despite the crappy status of the economy and whatnot.

I'm ready to take that challenge, are you?
If so, please enjoy this recipe for Coca Cola Cake, found in my new favorite book.

Coca Cola Cake (as written on the back of an office memo)

Bake in 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for approx. 50 minutes or until done

1.Mix well in large bowl
2 cups unsifted flour
2 cups sugar
3Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt

2.Beat together
2 eggs
1teaspoon soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

3. Heat to boiling
2 sticks margarine
1 cup coca cola

Pour #3 over #1 Mix- Add #2-
Mix well, add 1 1/2 cups baby marshmallows

Batter is thin
_________________________________

Frosting:

Heat 1/2 cup margarine & 1/3 cup cake mix, 3 Tablespoons cocoa with 1 lb. box powdered sugar. Add the hot margarine & cake- Mix well. Add 1 cup chopped nuts and pour over HOT cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment