Friday, July 3, 2009

Adventures in India

Yes, it is true. I have a secret love affair with India. "When did you go to the far East?" you say. That's the problem... I haven't! The closest I may get to India these days is through Betty Crocker's Coffee and Spice cookies ( sad, I know).

But, thanks to the wonders of my public library and my stove, I've achieved a better bond with my favorite country... other than the good 'ol Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

Thomas Branigan Memorial Library just so happens to have a decent selection of cultural cookbooks; From artsy and out there to bubbi's classic Kosher. There I discovered a bright orange and fuschia book all about traditional Indian cuisine and it's origins. The book broke down the country into different sections, explained their rule and religion, and why their food is so bomb! One vegetarian Hindu recipe totally stuck out to me, and for weeks it was yet another food mission of mine to be accomplished. Packed with protien and signiature Eastern spice, Ande Ki Kari provided me a gateway into India... and after cutting garlic and onions bare handed, my fragrant hands made me feel like a giddy little girl in a totally fab sari.


Ande Ki Kari

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned ( I prefer canned for a jucier sauce)
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon groung cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon garam masala*
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
1 cup water
8 hardboiled eggs, peeled
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons chpped fresh coriander leaves
2 Tablespoons heavy cream

Warm the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds and, after a few seconds add the onions and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Reduce the heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, mashing them into sauce with the back of your spoon. When the oil appears around the edges of the pan, add salt and the rest of the spices. Cook 1 minute, then add water and all hardboiled eggs.
Cover and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes. Turn off heat and mixin the lemon juice and fresh coriander. Let the curry cool for a few minutes before mixing in the cream.
just before serving, lift the eggs out of the sauce and halve them. pour sauce ove egg halves before serving.


Can you smell the spices and see the textiles now? I sure can!

1 comment: